DIY Dog Project: Easy Geometric Treat Jars

This post may contain affiliate links.

I love having dogs,  and I’ve always dreamed of having a beautiful home.  I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive, but sometimes finding the perfect accessory is elusive.  Case in point,  attractive treat jars that don’t cost a fortune.   Glass jars are easy to decorate, but may not fit with every decor.   I purchased three small ceramic canisters (designed for humans) from Crate & Barrel and then decided to glam them up with nail polish of all things.  One of my biggest problems with crafting is one small mistake can ruin the whole thing.  No fears with this DIY ceramic treat jar project, it can be switched up as much as you like.  The second biggest problem was choosing a color scheme, I don’t wear nail polish and really didn’t know the plethora of choices that are out there, so we decided to use the Pantone color of the year as a springboard.    Thanks to my sister, Alice G Patterson, for her styling and photography.

diy-Geometric Nail Polish treat jars

• Supplies:

ceramic jars with lids

nail polish (I wish I knew that it wasn’t all cruelty-free )

nail polish remover

cotton balls

tape (we used duct tape because I was out of painters tape)

optional: scissors or craft knife

nail polish DIY, customize ceramic canister

Using tape,  mask the area you want to paint.

DIY geometric Treat Jars tutorial

Apply polish.

another use for nail polish, decorate ceramic canister

Let dry.  You can use a hair dryer to speed up drying time before applying overlapping polish.

DIY geometric Treat Jars -fingernail polish detail

Repeat until the design is complete. Tip:  do not reuse tape, some polish will be underneath, and it will not lie flat for next application.

DIY geometric Treat Jars , decorating with nail polish

If you make a mistake or change your mind,  use nail polish remover.  This works even after a week, and I’ll let you know if still works in a few months.

DIY Dog Project: Easy Geometric Treat Jars

I enjoy giving my dogs new treats to try, and when I saw Newman’s Own dog treats, I ordered a few bags.  Aren’t these hearts just perfect for Valentine’s Day?

DIY geometric Treat Jars- Newman's Own heart shaped dog treatsgold band painted ceramic canister with heart shaped dog treatstutorial: DIY painted food storage jars, heart shaped dog treatI am not an expert on dog training or dog nutrition, but I like to give my dogs a variety of treats throughout the day, and all of these are made in the USA.

allergy free dog treats made in USAdecorate ceramic canisters with nail polish, Easy Geometric treat jars, nail polish craft projectTo see more of Alice’s photography (and her three dogs), follow her on Instagram.  I think these treat jars would be a perfect Valentine’s Day gift for a girl and her dog!  Or you could fill it with coffee, tea, or bath bombs for someone who doesn’t have a dog.

Are you making any DIY projects for gifts this Valentine’s Day?  We’d love to hear about them!

About Alice G Patterson Photography:  Based in Syracuse, New York, Alice specializes in photography for small businesses, senior portraits, commercial photography and dog portraits.  She has three dogs of her own:  Lulu, Franny,  and Darla.

The Chicken Chick

Does baking them treats count as a DIY project? You did a good job with this. Nothing too complicated and can be done in a short period of time. My kind of project.

Baking absolutely counts!

I love that these are so simple and yet have just the right amount of glamour. 🙂

dawn says:

Very nice! I don’t have any DIY projects planned this year. Maybe I can start planning for next year.:)

Are all the treats in the photo Newman’s Own? I’m always looking for small treats and those in the middle look perfect.

The ones in the middle are Zuke’s training treats http://amzn.to/1TdDiS6 (Affiliate link). The square ones are from “I’d Rather Be With My Dog” (best company name ever) http://amzn.to/1TdDyAB (affiliate link) My dogs love all of them, and I love that they are all made in the USA.

Those jars look lovely! Mr. N’s treats are scattered throughout the house but I want to make some for my stuff.

I think they would be great for a lot of different things, not just pet supplies.

Ashley says:

Such a cute idea! I like how you were creative and found another use for nail polish!

Thanks, Ashley!

Heather says:

These are gorgeous, your pictures are beautiful, and you are basically amazing!! Thank you for such a fabulous idea!

Thanks for your kind words Heather!

So cute! I love it.

You always come up with the best ideas!!! This gives my mom a reason to get the nail polish out! 🙂

Thank you, Spencer, I look forward to seeing what your very creative mom does! I love the silhouette treat jars she made.

Ahhhh! These are so adorable! I can picture one of these on my desk, in my kitchen with dog treats or in my girls bedrooms! So pretty and how creative with nail polish!

It turned out to be a very forgiving project, which is a big plus for me!

nichole says:

Such a simply, easy way to make ho-hum jars look great! Thanks!

Rachel says:

Adorable DIY jars!!

Kelly says:

These are lovely! And so easy too, which I like 😉

Donnica says:

I love this idea. I was on the hunt for some cute dog treat jars, but this DIY gives me the opportunity to customize them to match my decor. Great idea!!

What a wonderful idea 🙂

sherri says:

Very cute … and simple. I have more nail polish than I need because I only do my toes and I buy too many colours.

MattieDog says:

This is a great, fast and simple DIY project – even something that my momma could do! 🙂

These are so pretty and easy to make! I might try my hand at it!

These are beautiful. I wish I was as creative.

I love this idea! Your photos are fabulous too. Great job!

I love treat jars, they’re such a great gift! These are really nice ones, & your nail polish idea is genius!
Love & biscuits,
Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

You are so clever – I am tweeting this out. I plan to try this – thanks for the ins-paw-ration.

The jars are so cute – it’s hard to find attractive containers for dog treats! I really love the colors, I’d wear them.

Dogvills says:

You are so creative. These jars are so pretty!

Those jars are very pretty. I guess I won’t show you what my treat bucket looks like. Thankfully, Ted’s not fussy about things like that 🙂

Thank you! My dogs probably don’t care either 🙂

Aimee says:

Those turned out really pretty!

I can’t wait to make these!

I really like these jars. I don’t have dogs yet, but these jars would be perfect for other things too! As far as nutrition goes, I know LOADS about it thanks to my job. There’s so much info online about it too! It’s amazing what you’ll find out.

Kerri says:

I am in love with these!Im going to have to make some of my own, great diy project thank you!

Kim says:

Dogs need cute accessories too!! LOVE these and I especially love the heart treats. My dog would love treats in any shape

• Pingback: Fetching! - Daily Dog TagDaily Dog Tag

• Esther G says:

These are absolutely gorgeous! I will have to try this!

Susannah says:

These are precious! I love the colors of paint you used!!!!

• Pingback: 10 Homemade Holiday Gifts for Dogs & Dog Lovers - Live The Pet Life