As you might have noticed, posts are not daily right now as I am still 0n the mend, but when I received an invitation from Serena Nelson from Pretty Fluffy to participate in The 13 Project, I knew I would be posting as soon as I was able.
I also wanted to participate in Blog the Change and write about something that can positively impact dogs. Given my limited resources right now, I decided to combine two great ideas and write one post. Everyone can make a difference, no matter how small. After all, “Saving one dog will not change the world. But for that one dog, the world will surely change.” ~ Roger Caras
“The 13 Project is a Pretty Fluffy initiative that involves 13 acts of kindness towards animals before 2013. To join, all you have to do is come up with a list of up to 13 ways you can help animals before the end of 2012. You don’t need to be a millionaire. You don’t need to have a website, or be a member of a rescue organisation…All you need is the desire to make a difference. If you’re time poor, make your list just one goal – or 3 or 5 things.” (from The 13 Project)
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small fee at no additional cost to you.
I am posting two weeks after Serena started The 13 Project. This means there are just 11 weeks left this year. Here are my goals:
1. Reach out to more Rescue Groups and highlight a greater number of upcoming events on my Fetching posts. (If you have an event, please email [email protected])
2. Pick up some extra laundry detergent and paper towels from the store to bring to the rescue (along with the plastic grocery bags and my old linens). Although I can’t walk dogs quite yet, I can visit with them while my sister walks them.
3. Blog about an amazing organization (scheduled for November) which helps both dogs and humans.
4. Get back to pinning adoptable dogs on Pinterest and sharing them on Facebook. Remember, dogs don’t care if you like their photos, but sharing their photos can make a difference!
5. Feature more adoptable dogs on the Daily Dog Tag.
6. Investigate the possibility of becoming a short-term foster for dogs/puppies. I often see posts that need someone to take care of a dog or puppy for a few days. This would be hard to convince my husband to do, but I am going to try.
7. Promote Charlie Dog and Friends! Buy several for the holiday toy drives.
8. Continue to learn more about and fight BSL. Stop BSL is a great source of information about current BSL issues.
9. Shop responsibly from places like Hendrick Boards, Rhyme & Reason, and Bark Box, which donate a portion of sales to animal rescue. New customers to Mr Chewy can use this code BETH26023, and you will get a 10% discount, and Mr Chewy will donate $10 to Best Friends Animal Society.
11. Feature a photographer that is involved with Smile For A Cure. (Photographers, feel free to submit a session!)
12. Apply for a HeART Speak membership.
13. Encourage others to read the blog posts from The 13 Project and Be The Change and to set their own goals to make a difference.