A person is the best thing to happen to a shelter pet. BE that PERSON. ~ The Shelter Pet Project
There are many homeless dogs, and roughly 4 million of them are euthanized each year. Yes, healthy, friendly, beautiful, adoptable dogs of all ages and breeds are put down regularly. Currently, the HSUS estimates that only 20 % of dogs in the US are adopted from a shelter, and the other 80% are from pet stores (puppy mills) and breeders: some reputable, some not.
If more people looked to adopt first (instead of shopping) the number of dogs needing homes would be drastically reduced. If more dogs were neutered, there would also be a decreasing number of homeless dogs. Some are surrendered by owners because they are moving, can’t afford vet expenses or have failed to train their dogs properly. Sadly, owner surrenders are often the first ones to be put down in some shelters.
Shelters are typically run by volunteers. They can use any help you can give whether it is by fostering, volunteering, donating money or supplies: blankets, paper towels, laundry detergent, newspapers, pet food, treats, and toys are usually needed by shelters. And don’t underestimate the power of Facebook, Twitter, and email. SHARE adoptable dogs, don’t just like them.
Today I’d like to introduce you to Smiley, who was sent in by Stacey from Happy Tails Pet Photography. Smiley is pretty much the poster dog for incredible rescue dog stories!
Born without eyes, Smiley spent the first part of his life living in a puppy mill. But at two years of age, he was adopted into a loving forever family. He is adorable and happy.
From Stacey: “Smiley is completely in tune with mom Joanne. From the sound of her footsteps to the tone in her voice, her cues let him know if he is safe or if there is an obstacle in the way. He trusts her completely, and it is an amazing bond they share.”
However, Smiley’s story goes beyond being in a happy home. He is a certified therapy dog and visits patients every week bringing them much happiness.
Additionally, Smiley is a bit of celebrity. Besides being featured in the newspaper, he appeared on stage with Cesar Milan as an inspirational dog.
Stacey said that during their photo shoot, Smiley liked to trick her by curling up as if he was sleeping.
I love this image so much. While Smiley is an amazing dog who has overcome a puppy mill and disability, I imagine the thing he is proudest of is the family that shares his life. You can see more of Smiley on the Happy Tails Photography blog.
About Happy Tails Photography: Modern lifestyle pet photography based in Milton, Ontario providing wag-worthy images of furry friends in their natural environment. Serving locations in southwestern Ontario, including Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, Guelph, Cambridge and Kitchener-Waterloo.
I’d love to hear how you help rescue dogs! If you have a blog, I’d like to remind you that any day is a good day to blog about rescue dogs.