Because I’m passionate about getting their dogs professionally photographed, it always makes me a little sad when people comment, “my dog would never sit still for photos!” My response is always, “you might be surprised at what a professional photographer can accomplish!” So I asked Sarah and Peter from CityLux Studios to share their tips for photographing dogs and people.
CityLux Studios’ Tips For Photographing Dogs & People
* Have treats on standby. Just like people, pups are more agreeable when snacks are involved.
* During engagement sessions, we always recommend that our couples bring someone along to take care of the pup(s) while they’re not actively in photos.
* We love movement, so we just have them walk together and sometimes even frolic.
* Natural interaction is always fun and makes for some great candids. We usually have the couple kneel down with their dog(s), and when this happens, a little slobbering is almost always guaranteed. The camera loves it.
* If the pup is an energetic breed, giving them some exercise before the session is extremely wise. Letting them run around for a while burns calories and creates some calm.
* A recent grooming visit is never a bad idea! Pups need haircuts just like we do.
Be sure to check some of our other tips for how to include dogs in your engagement photos.
Follow CityLux Studios on Instagram.
Find a pet-friendly photographer near you. If you need help finding a pet photographer near you, let me know!
About CityLux Studios: Based in Boston, Massachusetts, Sarah and Peter specialize in engagement, wedding, and maternity photography.